Net-A-Porter Employees Evacuated After Nighttime Transformer Fire
No injuries were reported as a result of the transformer fire at the Net-A-Porter headquarters in Mahwah
Employees at the Net-A-Porter building at the corner of Darlington Avenue and MacArthur Boulevard were evacuated at about 8 p.m. Friday after a transformer on the side of building burst into flames, Mahwah Police Chief James Batelli said Friday night.
Fire Companies 1,2,3 and 4, Mahwah EMS Company 4, Mahwah Police and Rockland Electric Crews were dispatched to the scene. The fire department monitored the fire to make sure it didn’t spread to the building while RE crews shut power to the transformer, Mahwah Assistant Fire Chief Brad Stio said. The transformer “supplies approximately 13,000 volts [of electricity to the building], so putting water on the fire [before power was cut] would be highly dangerous,” Stio said.
The fire was extinguished shortly after 9 p.m., Stio said. It stayed contained to the transformer and did not spread to the building, he said.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire, and there was no damage to the building, Batelli said. The employees were only evacuated as a precaution, he said. “Workers were allowed to return to the building a short time later while Rockland Electric worked on repairs to the transformers,” he said.
According to Batelli, Net-A-Porter, an online luxury retailer, “works on a 24/7 basis. A lot of their business is overseas so they always have a shift on duty.”