Salon Workers Fall Ill From Fumes
An improper ventilation system at a nearby vacant storefront was to blame, police said
Two employees of Fantastic Sam’s hair salon in the A&P Plaza were transported to the hospital Monday afternoon after fumes from the vacant storefront next door seeped into the salon, Mahwah Police Chief James Batelli said.
Workers in the vacant store at 139 Franklin Turnpike were “cutting through the cement floor using gas powered saws [and] were not using the proper ventilation system,” Batelli said. “So the fumes went through the duct system into Fantastic Sam’s, causing dizziness and nausea,” Batelli said.
According to Batelli, the same problem occurred last Friday, but the owner of Fantastic Sam’s asked the workers to stop, and township officials were not called. The business conducting the renovation was unknown, but it was there to prepare the storefront for a new business, police said.
"The Township Building Department revoked the work permit until their work procedures can be reviewed," Batelli said.
Mahwah Haz Mat Fire Company 2 and Rescue Company 1 responded to the scene, as well as Mahwah EMS Companies 1 and 4, and Ramsey EMS. Mahwah crews medically cleared four patients at the scene, and transported two to the hospital, Assistant Fire Chief Brad Stio said.
The fire department also "vented the building so it was safe to re-enter," Stio said.
Have a question or a news tip? Email the editor Jessica Mazzola at email@example.com. Or, follow us on Facebook and Twitter. For news straight to your email inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.