Hurricane Sandy Closures In Mahwah
Continuously updated list of cancelations, closures and alerts as Mahwah residents deal with Hurricane Sandy
Hurricane Sandy rain is expected to begin after 9 a.m., with landfall expected later in the day on Monday, according to the National Weather Service.
Patch will keep a running list of cancelations, flooding updates, power outage updates, etc.
- Mahwah schools closed Tuesday
- Mahwah Library closed Tuesday
- Ramapo College classes are canceled for Tuesday, and offices are closed. Residence halls remain open and food service remains avaialable.
- Recycling Monday and Tuesday is suspended. Garbage is being picked up Monday, but garbage pick up Tuesday is canceled. Those impacted by the garbage pick cancelation will be notified when it will be rescheduled, township officials said.
- Update at 9 a.m. Monday from township business administrator - Town Hall is closed Monday. The DPW and Police Department are open and operating under the direction of the DPW Director and the Chief of Police.
- Mahwah Library is closed Monday
- Mahwah Schools are closed Monday
- Ramapo College classes are canceled Monday
- Young World Day School is closed Monday
- Apple Montessori School is closed Monday
- Rainbow Academy is closed Monday
- Ramapo Reservation, Darlington Park and all other county parks are closed
- All county buildings are closed; County operations will be conducted from the public safety complex in Mahwah until further notice.
- The United States Postal Service has not yet announced closures or service interruptions to normal mail delivery, but said it might as the storm worsens. The USPS posted on its website that FedEx deliveries to Newark and NYC have been canceled Monday.
- All NJ TRANSIT Rail, Bus, Light Rail and Access Link service is suspended until further notice
- NJ PATH service is suspended
- From the NJ TRANSIT: System-wide cross-honoring of all rail, bus and light rail tickets will be in effect through Wednesday, October 31, until 6 a.m. This will allow customers holding NJ TRANSIT tickets to use alternate means of transportation to get to their final destination, such as PATH, PATCO and private bus carriers. Due to the duration of the storm and the potential impact to the NJ TRANSIT system, this timeframe could be extended if necessary.
- Follow Mahwah Patch on Facebook
- Follow Mahwah Patch on Twitter
- Click here to get the Patch app for free on iTunes. Not only can you read news on it, but post photos and videos as well.
- Continuous Live coverage starts via Patch’s CoveritLive module at 8 a.m. Monday
- Sign up for the township’s new Nixle text messaging alert service by texting the message “Mahwah1” to the number 888777.
- Police will have extra 911 operators on staff throughout the storm. Call 911 for emergencies only. Non-emergency calls can be made to 201-529-1000.
Potential Power Outages and Flooding:
- Orange & Rockland predicted Sunday that service interruptions could last 7-10 days, or longer
- From the Mahwah Police Department: In the event of widespread power outages the Township will designate specific sites as charging areas where residents will be able charge their cell phones laptops etc. This will be done on an area basis once the storm threat passes.
- Mahwah is not planning on opening shelters, but will provide holding areas and transport to county shelters, if necessary. The county started setting up its first shelter at the Bergen Community College campus in Paramus.
- Officials are recommending residents in historically flood-prone areas make accommodations to stay at a hotel or with family as early as possible