Many common household products contain carcinogens such as formaldehyde,
nitrobenzene, methylene chloride, and napthelene, as well as reproductive toxins, hormone disruptors. Common ingredients cause liver damage, kidney damage, brain damage, allergies and asthma.
This list, from Cancer: 101 Solutions to a Preventable Epidemic (New Society
Publishers, 2007) by Liz Armstrong et al, cautions against 10 household products, in addition to cleaners, that you should avoid having in your house.
1. Air fresheners: Often contain napthelene and formaldehyde.
2. Art supplies: Epoxy and rubber cement glues, acrylic paints and solvents, and permanent markers often contain carcinogens.
3. Automotive supplies: Most are toxic. Keep them safely away from the house and dispose of at a hazardous waste disposal center.
4. Candles: Avoid artificially scented paraffin candles that produce combustion by-products, including soot. Beeswax only, with cotton wicks
5. Carpet and upholstery shampoos: Use only wet-clean, natural ingredients.
6. Dry-cleaning: Choose clothes that don’t need perchlorethylene to clean them. Ask for the wet-cleaning option at your local cleaners, or seek dry-cleaners that use liquid C02 or citrus juice cleaners.
7. Flea, tick and lice control: Avoid lindane-based pesticides.
8. Paints and varnishes: Always chose low or no-VOC finishes.
9. Household pesticides: Go natural.
10. Microwaves: Never microwave or heat food in a plastic container.
For more information and links for natural alternatives: