Invite a friend
A History of Detective Fiction with Professor Edward Shannon
Edward Shannon, PhD, professor of literature at Ramapo College, traces the lineage of fiction's great detectives from the first, Poe's C. Auguste Dupin, to the many who followed in his footsteps and because beloved by mystery readers worldwide. Over the past century, the mystery has become the most popular genre of reading for pleasure, and Professor Shannon will explain why. Edward A. Shannon is a Professor of Literature at Ramapo College of New Jersey where he teaches Survey of American Literature, Introduction to Literature, 20th Century American Literature, Contemporary American Literature, as well as courses in Graphic Novels and Crime Fiction. This program is free. No registration is necessary. Seats are on a “first come” basis.
More About Mahwah Public Library
The Mahwah Public Library is located on Ridge Road in Mahwah, near many of the district's school buildings. In addition to a large catalogue of books, periodicals and reference materials, the library also offers classes, events and meetings for kids, teens, adults and families. The library has many resources for research, public use of the Internet and computers and public meeting rooms where book clubs and other various groups can meet. The library has been undergoing a renovation in 2010, the library's downstairs facilities expanded the library's space and ability to host various events.
Other events here
- Mahwah Library Writers' Collective Weekly on Tuesdays, 6:30 pm–8:30 pm
- Technology Tuesday @ the Library: “Pinning with Pinterest” and “Tumble for tumblr.” with Betsy Coyne the PC and MAC Teacher Tomorrow, May 21, 7:00 pm
- Meditaiton Weekly on Tuesdays, 7:30 pm–8:30 pm
- “Skylands: New Jersey State Botanical Garden” with Maja Britton Wed, May 22, 7:00 pm
- "Hyde Park on Hudson" Thu, May 23, 1:30 pm
- "Silver Linings Playbook" Thu, May 30, 1:30 pm
- Failure at Gettysburg: 15 Decisions that Doomed the Confederacy with Glenn LeBoeuf Mon, Jun 3, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Summer Music Festival 2013 Hyung Do Kim, piano, performing music by composers including Schumann, Chopin, Mussorgsky, and Rachmaninoff Tue, Jun 4, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Summer Music Festival 2013 Violinist Akiko Kobayashi and Pianist Eric Siepkes in Recital performing music by composers including Beethoven “Spring sonata, Schumann, and Stravinsky’s “Suite Italieene” Wed, Jun 5, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- "Intouchables" Thu, Jun 6, 1:30 pm