About 8,095 customers in Mahwah had lost power as of 7:51 a.m. Tuesday, Orange & Rockland reported on its website. The utility serves just shy of 11,000 customers in the township.
According to a release from O&R at 10 p.m. Monday, Hurricane Sandy knocked out power to about 200,000 of O&R’s 300,000 electric customers.
The utility said the storm has destroyed much of its electric transmission and distribution system that will need to be rebuilt. The process, it said, is expected to take weeks. Power to most customers is expected to be restored within 10 days, though O&R said that is a rough estimate and will be refined as it more thoroughly assesses the damage from the storm.
Mahwah Police issued a warning after 7 p.m. urging residents to stay off the roads.
"There are extensive power outages and blown transformers throughout the Township. Several trees and large limbs are down on roadways making travel extremely dangerous. Do not approach any down wires. The Mahwah Police are notifying Orange and Rockland of all reported power outages. In an emergency dial 911. For all other police services dial 201-529-1000. Please do not leave your house unless absolutely necessary," the alert said.
Check O&R's website to report and monitor outages.
The Mahwah School District announced Monday afternoon that schools would be closed on Tuesday.
- Mahwah schools closed Tuesday
- Mahwah Library closed Tuesday
- Ramapo College classes are canceled for Tuesday, and offices are closed. Residence halls remain open and food service remains avaialable.
- Recycling Monday and Tuesday is suspended. Garbage is being picked up Monday, but garbage pick up Tuesday is canceled. Those impacted by the garbage pick cancelation will be notified when it will be rescheduled, township officials said.
- Update at 9 a.m. Monday from township business administrator - Town Hall is closed Monday. The DPW and Police Department are open and operating under the direction of the DPW Director and the Chief of Police.
See a full list of Hurricane Sandy-related closures here.