Everyone in a family feels the tension and excitement as children head back to school. Adhering to these concepts in September will help children and adults feel organized and habitual about new routines:
- Hold fun family meetings to set clear expectations and for good communication.
- Create and adhere to “House Rules” such as:
- Determine in advance bedtime and wake up times.
- Decide what electronics can be on and used and for how long during the school week and on weekends.
- Agree what chores are done by whom and how often; utilize a chore chart and checklists.
- Have a “Home”, a designated place, for school information/papers. This needs to be in a communicated place so students and caregivers alike can review and follow up as needed.
- Just as there is a need for a paper “Home” above there needs to be protocol about electronic school information. Most schools are sending communications via email so set up a folder in your email box for such and schedule a routine time daily to retrieve this information.
- Decide on what type of calendar system your family will be using and then USE it. Make sure everyone’s activities and appointments are on the calendar so each family member learns proper time management skills.