Several Franklin Heights condo units were evacuated late Thursday night after a dryer fire broke out in a unit on Oliver Court, Mahwah Fire Chief Ed Garza said Friday.
At about 11 p.m. Thursday, a fire broke out on the second floor of the condo unit, Garza said.
“The fire was shooting out from under and around the dryer and burned the wall and the ceiling,” Garza said.
Firefighters fought the blaze for about an hour. According to authorities, the family inside that unit and surrounding units were evacuated while firefighters knocked down the fire.
“It could have been worse,” Garza said.
“[The fire] was contained to small area.”
Since the damage was only in the laundry area, Garza said the family was allowed to return to their unit after it had been put out.
Mahwah Fire Companies 1, 2, and 3, the Suffern Fire Department, and Mahwah Emergency Medical Services ambulance corps responded to the blaze.