.

Mahwah Condos Evacuated After Dryer Fire

Damage to the Franklin Heights condo unit was contained the the laundry room, firefighters said.

Several Franklin Heights condo units were evacuated late Thursday night after a dryer fire broke out in a unit on Oliver Court, Mahwah Fire Chief Ed Garza said Friday.

At about 11 p.m. Thursday, a fire broke out on the second floor of the condo unit, Garza said.

“The fire was shooting out from under and around the dryer and burned the wall and the ceiling,” Garza said.

Firefighters fought the blaze for about an hour. According to authorities, the family inside that unit and surrounding units were evacuated while firefighters knocked down the fire.

“It could have been worse,” Garza said.

“[The fire] was contained to small area.”

Since the damage was only in the laundry area, Garza said the family was allowed to return to their unit after it had been put out.

Mahwah Fire Companies 1, 2, and 3, the Suffern Fire Department, and Mahwah Emergency Medical Services ambulance corps responded to the blaze. 

Regenbogen January 11, 2014 at 08:04 AM
Thank you Mahwah's finest for another job well done.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »