Councilwoman Lisa DiGiulio, who has served on Mahwah’s township council for the past 24 years, will seek reelection this November. So far, DiGiulio is one of only two council candidates to submit petitions to the township to officially run for a seat on the legislative body.
“I just enjoy serving the people in this town,” DiGiulio said in a phone interview Tuesday night. “And, if they will let me, I’d like to continue to do it.”
In her 24 years on the council, she has served as both president and vice president, a member of the township beautification committee, and a member of the Mahwah Ambulance Corps. DiGiulio said she has been involved in the planning stages of both national and local programs and facilities, ranging from DARE and the NJ Child Abuse Task Force to the creation of Continental Soldiers Field and the Mahwah Public Library. She has also been active in many volunteer organizations in the township, namely the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
“Sometimes, experience counts,” DiGiulio said. “And, I hope that the people like what I have done for the town, and will vote for me.”
DiGiulio, who works for a payroll company, has lived in Mahwah since 1977. She and her husband have five children, two of which went through the Mahwah school system. Last year, she made an
With less than a week to go before the filing deadline in Mahwah, only DiGiulio and Councilman John Roth, , have filed petitions, Township Clerk Kathy Coletta said Tuesday.
The field of potential candidates for the three council seats up for election this year is still forming. According to Coletta, residents Jan Ariemma, M. Mian, Eileen Richter, Steven Sbarra, Jonathan Marcus and Todd Van Duren have all taken out petitions, and have yet to return them. Petitions must be returned to the township clerk’s office by next Tuesday in order for candidates to be eligible to run.
Resident Dan Weixeldorfer, who originally took out and returned petitions, has withdrawn from the race, Coletta said Tuesday. According to Weixeldorfer, a new job led him to the decision to withdraw his name from the race. “I took [a new] job offer and started the last week of July. With the hours I need to dedicate to the new office along with what's currently on my plate, the planning board and vice chairman of the environmental commission, I felt that I would not be able to give the proper amount of time it takes to be an involved council person,” he said.
Continue to check Patch for information about other candidates, and for continuing coverage throughout the election season.