Township officials say they are going to try to correct a “dangerous” traffic situation at Macarthur Boulevard after a resident shared his concerns about it at a township council meeting last week.
Resident Richard Silvia told the council last week he is concerned about the “hazardous condition” created by trucks driving over the Macarthur Boulevard overpass while an ongoing NJ Department of Transportation construction project has narrowed both lanes.
“There are signs all over the place, saying no trucks, no trucks,” Silvia told the council.
“But they are always there, and they are driving people off the road. Something has to be done.”
Council members agreed.
“It’s dangerous,” Councilman Steve Sbarra, who had previously told that council of a near-accident he was in on the overpass because of a truck driving over it, said.
Township engineer Mike Kelly called the problem an, “enforcement issue,” but said that a rule like this is, “difficult to enforce. You’d have to have someone standing there watching it all day.”
Still, Kelly said he would relay the concerns to the DOT, the engineer working on the project, and the police in an attempt to encourage enforcement of the “No Truck” rule.
The construction project, which is replacing the entire bridge deck, is slated to be completed by June 27.
Have you had a problem with trucks at this overpass? Tell us in the comments.