The following was submitted by Mahwah Youth Basketball
The upcoming Mahwah Youth Basketball Season starts Monday. Here is what you need to know:
- REC REGISTRATION – Registration for grades K – 8 will open up October 1 online at TMYSB.org. Our Rec is broken into divisions by grade level. The Instructional Division (K-2) will begin play in a clinic/practice format in January. Our other divisions, Minors (3/4), Juniors (5/6), and Seniors (7/8) will have assessments the last week in November to allow coaches an opportunity make evaluations before they select teams. The purpose of the draft and assessments is to try to create divisions with as much parity as possible. We will email as soon as the assessment schedule is finalized and posted on our basketball website.
- TRAVEL TRYOUTS – Tryouts for travel teams will be held beginning the week of Monday, October 15. That schedule is being finalized and will be posted on the travel page of our website. Each grade level will be given 2 sessions for tryout. Interested players are encouraged to attend both sessions. Travel teams will be posted and begin practicing the first week of November. Third grade travel players are required to play in the rec program and 4th and 6th grade travel players have the option of ‘playing up’ a division in rec. If playing up is desired please note that when registering for rec online. To register (it is free) for Travel Tryouts please submit the contact form found on the travel page of our website.
- COACHES – Our next Rutgers certification class will be held on November 15 with background checks conducted the prior week. Full details will be provided on the coaches’ page of tmysb.org once the times/places are finalized. We will email once we have dates/times confirmed.
- REC COACHES – We are always in need of good rec coaches who understand the role of the coach as teacher. If you are interested in coaching please note that on your registration or you may reach out to the appropriate division head. Contact info may be found on the contact us page of our website.
- TRAVEL COACHES – If you are interested in coaching a travel team please complete and submit the information sheet available on the coaches’ page of our site. Completed forms may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If there are multiple people interested for a given position there will be an interview process as outlined in the TMYSB CAP rules.
** NOTE – Travel Rosters will be finalized before coaches are assigned to teams
- COACH/PLAYER CLINICS – We are pleased to be developing a stronger relationship with our boys’ and girls’ high school programs as well as the Ramapo College Mens’ Basketball Program. Ramapo College Coach Chuck McBreen will be conducting free boys’ and girls’ clinics for all registered players on Sunday, December 9 at Ramapo College and will be hosting a Mahwah Game Day at Ramapo in February. He will also be offering a coaches clinic on Monday November 12, from 6 - 8:30 p.m. during and after one of his fall practices. More details to follow. Thunderbird Coaches Alan Clements (girls) and Mike Branagh (boys) are looking forward to contributing along with their teams to our youth basketball program as well!
- APPAREL – This year we have some fantastic new apparel that will be offered for purchase online, powered by Michaels Sporting Goods of Oakland. Sweatshirts, T-shirts, shorts, hats, bags, and more. Many of the items can be personalized with name and/or number. The online window will be open for the first two weeks of November with items ready for distribution before the holidays. Some great gift ideas and an awesome way to display pride in our town and program. Some samples will be available for preview at our travel tryout sessions in October.
- SPECIAL EVENTS – We look forward to some other fun basketball related events this winter. Look for our first Dinner and Movie in December, a great night of pizza, prizes, and trivia! Our 3-on-3 will also be back by popular demand and even bigger and better this year!
- HELP ALWAYS WELCOME – We welcome anyone who might consider taking a more active role in our program. Some opportunities to help include:
- Rec Director/Assistants – always needed (Especially Instructional) – contact the appropriate division head.
- Apparel Coordinator
- Equipment Coordinator
- Travel Uniforms
- Special Events – have an idea for a great event? Let us know and we will help get it going!
Any questions can be directed to the appropriate committee member or to our general email at email@example.com.