Fire was caused by hot water heater malfunction, police say
Two Krinsky Court townhouse units that suffered damage from a fire that broke out Wednesday afternoon were determined to be “uninhabitable” by the township’s building inspector, according to Mahwah Police Chief James Batelli. The residents of the other four units that were initially evacuated were allowed to return home, Batelli said. The cause of the blaze, which caused extensive smoke and water damage, was a “malfunction with the hot water heater,” he said. That was determined by the PD’s certified arson investigator Michael Blondin. Everyone was evacuated safely after the fire broke out just before 4 p.m. Wednesday, and no injuries were reported, Batelli said. The homes are part of a primarily 55 and older complex.